Monday, June 22, 2009

Imagine.

Hello blog fans! Well. After a crazy day today, some mild panic stress calls to the US late last night, and being 3/4 through Legally Blonde, which always makes me feel better (say what you want, it is a story of triumph, just like Cool Runnings), I shall to settle down and tell you a story with some pictures, especially for our friends who do not have access to Facebook.

Yesterday I went to the Musée des Beaux Arts de Montréal, where an exhibit on John Lennon and Yoko Ono was closing.

Now, I have always been kind of intrigued by the relationship of John and Yoko, mostly because their relationship was so strong, so immediately, which is fair, but it was also kind of at the expense and destruction of other things (namely the Beatles's collective career and John's first marriage and consequently relationship with his son Julian, about whom "Hey Jude" was written). So to say the least, I was really curious about this exhibit, and what they would show about the Lennon/Ono connection.

What I found at this exhibit was that a lot of her/their earlier work, heavily-laden in obscure symbolism, was pretty indicative of the use of Yoko as a derogatory term towards people who divide solid unions. But then the exhibit continued (concluding in the Imagine era), and I was more convinced that Yoko and John really believed in love and peace and were, at their core, radical and kind of fun.

This is fair, but I still am not past the fact that Julian Lennon and Mrs. John 1 lived a scorned life because of John being swept up in Yoko Fever. Might just be from where I come, but when Paul McCartney is writing your son songs to get you through your divorce, maybe you should evaluate your relationships. The other thing I like about the song "Hey Jude" is that it is also applicable for Jude the Obscure, a British lit favorite. The other thing about John Lennon is that I have a really hard time looking at pictures or videos of him, especially frappant while watching "A Hard Day's Night," because I always look at the date and think, "In x years, you'll be...gone, and you have no idea." That's true of anyone who dies, obviously, but it always gets me with John Lennon for some reason. Don't know why that is.

After the museum, Karen, Carla and I continued on a nice walk downtown, stopping at a dép (short for dépanneur, convenience store) for cool beverages and enjoying the sun that had been away for a while. Then I came home and made myself nachos for dinner (om nom fiesta nom), and it was great. Aside from a minor housing crisis (which is averted, إن شاء الله), things are doing pretty well. This place is really becoming my home.

So I guess in the spirit of things, we should all give peace a little chance, especially since on our way back home, we saw people en manifestant about Iran at the gates of McGill. While I was talking to Sally last night, I said that I felt like I had gone through enough bad to deserve good things, but not necessarily put out enough good to deserve them. Just thinking about such things.

Anyway, nachos are delicious, I've been taking lots of walks in the evening, and keeping up with mes études québécoises. Best to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment