Sunday, July 12, 2009

Newprincess, the Comeback Tour

Well, after a visit from the family, most of which I regrettably spent sick in bed, I am back in action. Three days of fever was no no fun, nor is the cough I'm still nursing, but such is life. After being basically alone in my apartment for like, 5 days, I was so ready to be back in action.

On Thursday, Jenna and I went on several adventures, involving lunch after class (and delicious wine coolers called a "Sex and the City," which is interesting given I've been rewatching the series), doing a little window shopping (and falling in love with a dress at American Eagle, not usually my style but whatever), and then after a few hours off, heading out to the Jazz Festival. We heard some great jazz trio and some great rock group that kept asking, "WHAT TIME ARE WE ALIVE? TONIGHT!"

Then I introduced Jenna to the joys of pomegranate lemonade with liquor, and her roommate Sarina introduced us to the joys of crushed berries in cocktails, and then we sat on the balcony talking about Québec separatism and mutual Obie friends from Santa Monica.

All day Jenna had been working on origami roses for her new beau, and then at midnight she decided that she and I should deliver them. To the Plateau. Which for the record, was not a 20 minute walk, as I was promised.

A little tip-tip, Jenna and I walked up Saint Laurent where we polled standers-by on drunk/team texting (results were pretty affirmative), and then were stealth when we got to the block in question. However, as we were turning the corner, this guy wearing an Obama shirt was turning in the opposite direction, and I stopped talking to Jenna to say "GOBAMA," at which he laughed. Then Jenna walked me home while I whined about my feelings and tired feet a little, but she's a good friend. Perhaps a bad influence, but a great friend :)

Friday night brought a truly great night indeed. I scored myself a sweet invite to Unity, one of the most well-known gay clubs in the Village, where within a few minutes, I was introduced to a recent med school grad and thus even more recent doctor, and a Québécois movie star, a fashion merchandiser, and many more new friends. Also, I promised to help a new friend study for the SATs so he can go to Berkeley. I am really pleased that gay men like buying straight girls drinks and like dancing with me in my great polka dot dress, which apparently, as I've learned, gives off the impression of a French girl, and not an American one. For the win.

Moral of the story is that I have finished my 13-page French research paper (YES WE CAN), done boatloads of laundry, and talked my super out of starting my shower repairs until Monday so I could work hard all weekend (which I did, barf). Tonight, to celebrate, I went to my favorite Bar Laitier (ice cream place), where the two pubescent boys who work there give me the largest smalls I've ever seen.

I have made great friends and great dates for the future. Life feels awesome. I miss Oberlin every day, but I know once I'm gone I will miss Montréal more than anything too. Quoi faire? On ne sait jamais...

No comments:

Post a Comment