Saturday, July 25, 2009

Best Friday Ever

Fridays are great days of the week, but I feel as if, quite possibly, this Friday was a cut above all the rest. Certainly above many I've had.

My buddy Cindy from the Summer Studies office came to class to give us our course evaluations, for which we were all prepared to complete with vigour. I am so ready for class to be over, but I am also so ready to do well this week. It feels pretty solid. Then when I went upstairs to give them back to her, I noticed that she has recently become engaged, which is what she was hoping would happen soon at the beginning of the summer. So lovely.

Then I went home and Thomas came over to fulfill our goal of vegan margarita cupcakes. There's something about classy, measured vegan baking (as opposed to Fairkid style, which requires replacing every other ingredient) that is so good for the soul. We squeezed limes and grated zest and made icing like total pros. Mmmm delicious.

While they baked and cooled, I made fruited chicken curry for lunch, although it was pretty late, which I knew Thomas would love, because he is a total foodie. There is so much going on in it, and I've been wanting to make it myself since May. So much delicious garlic and coriander and gingembre, which I spent hours trying to figure out how to say by memory. Thomas beat me by retaining "recipe," which is a stupid hard English word.

We ate our curry and drank pomegranate lemonade and talked about our feelings and lives, slipping in and out of French and English. I love the bilingual crowd. Love. It.

The afternoon slowed down a little, and having a late lunch threw me off, because I just ate some grapes and a Payday, which everyone knows is my favorite snack in this universe. I stopped by Molly's house for her gathering, but then got a call that everyone was meeting at Vallarta in the Village, so down the Plateau I went.

Vallarta is owned by this guy Miguel and this crowd of dudes is very in with him and we sat on the terrace and kept getting poured drinks. Maybe I forgot to eat dinner, but maybe it was fun anyway.

At this juncture, Matt and I accidentally started quoting Miss Congeniality and Legally Blonde, which continued for the rest of the evening, and may or may not have been obnoxious, but it was a series of funny things said by all. For instance:

Dr. Matt: Are there good med schools in Boston?
Me: Well, there's Harvard...

At about midnight, after lots of laughs and what not, we went to Unity, as per usual, where Thomas bought me a rum and pineapple in VIP (and my first rum and pineapple in a long while) and danced and danced, which was especially glorious when they started playing the Venga Boys, which brought me back immediately to 6th grade and the Blanchard Play and 9:15 on Saturday mornings.

We also talked about feelings on the terrace in the rain, Mathieu and I, and both he and Thomas have separately confirmed my choice in career path as a counselor. Win.

At 3 AM, we all went to McDonalds, where I ate fries and drank Fruitopia (where did Fruitopia go in the US? I wonder this.) and laughed and laughed. Then I slept at Thomas's place, and this morning, he, Matt and I snuggled in our underwear for several hours, trying to teach Thomas how to give hickies on the insides of our arms, and Matt taught me how to perform minor dermatological procedures.

Finally, we went to Chez Cora for breakfast and had eggs (I haven't eaten straight up eggs for years until this summer) and smoothies and held our sleepy heads. Showers feel great, so do naps, so do preparing for tests when you really want to be so doing. Honestly, best Friday ever. Love my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment